istyriabookblog

Istyria book blog

B's World of Enchanted Books

Independent Study: The Testing, Book 2

Independent Study: The Testing, Book 2 - Joelle Charbonneau *I received this book from the publisher via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thanks!*Sequels are hard. Not only as a writer, but as a reader too. Especially when the first book was really good. Your expectations for the second book will be really high. That's not always a good thing. As a reviewer it's hard too because you can't reveal to much, you don't want to spoil anything for other readers. Especially when it's an ARC. Sometimes high expectations are met, but sadly... sometimes they are not. My expectations for this book were high because I loved the first book The Testing. It was so good and so fascinating. And while this book was fascinating and intriguing, some part of me is disappointed. I can't really tell you that much about it without spoiling, so I'll give it my best try. Let me tell you about the things I liked first. I still liked Cia. She's a fun MC. She's still stubborn and smart and sometimes a little bit insecure. She's not perfect, she has flawes of course. But she can handle herself when she needs to. I liked Tomas and Michal too and I can't really say much about the other characters due to spoilers. So yeah, that's it for the characters. Another thing I liked was that I got that same feeling I got in the first book. The feeling that nobody is who he/she seems to be, that something's wrong. And you don't get your answers immediately. Some of mine are still unanswered, so I'll have to wait until the next book. But I liked that. It keeps me guessing and wanting to read the next book. Now, what I didn't like... Most of the time, and I'm so sorry for saying this, I was so bored. There was little to no action and I had to fight the urge to put the book down. I was almost ready to just stop reading because there wasn't happening anything interesting. Yeah the riddles and all that were all there, but still... I need me some action!!! When I was about 75% in, I just wanted to put it down and then finally a little bit of action. Well, not really action, but it was enough to keep me from putting the book down. And it was enough for me to look forward to the sequel. So that's good... I guess.If you really liked the first book, I recommend this book to you. Just read it, get through it and then wait for the third book. Maybe you'll like it more then me? This is just my opinion after all. If you didn't like the first book that much, I don't think you'll like this one. But you can try? I will read the next book in the series and I do hope it has a little more action.