istyriabookblog

Istyria book blog

B's World of Enchanted Books

Ink

Ink - Amanda Sun This review was originally posted on Istyria book blog.*I received this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!*You know that situation when a book looks awesome and sounds awesome and it turns out to be awesome? Yeah, this was not like that. The cover is gorgeous, the blurb makes it sound like a great read, but after reading it all I feel is... disappointment.This book had everything going for it. A great cover, a seemingly original and brilliant concept and it's set in Japan. But where did it go wrong? Well... to many YA cliches. Outcast, ordinary heroine who's actually not that ordinary at all, 'badboy' hero with a secret and a complicated or painful past who pushes the heroine away because he's dangerous, other hot guy that is just as hot and mysterious as the first one but nice, best friends who also get ditched by the heroine because she wants to be with the badboy, insta-love, forbidden love,... Yep, sad to say all of those are in there. This is just one of those books where high expectations don't pay off. At all. But it was so hard not to have them because it just sounded so very very good. And then I read it and it was just... not good. I read in a review that this book was similar to Twilight for him/her and I have to say... I agree. For all the reasons she mentions. I mean... The cliches above alone are enough for me to see that. Okay, the good thing in this book and the reason it got 2 stars from me, is the beginning. Mainly because it was nice to have a story take place in Japan for a change. I liked the culture in it, even though I don't know much about it to begin with, so I don't know if it the author got it all right or not, but I liked it none the less. That didn't change the fact that it just turned out to be not as original as it seemed when I found this book on Netgalley and with that all the cliches that I'm so tired of seeing in books. I liked Katie the first few chapters, but after that she was just another Mary Sue and even a bit of a stalker at times. The guy, Tomohiro, reminded me a lot of Edward. Sure, he's Asian and the powers are different, but all the rest is the same. The supernatural in this book wasn't what I had hoped for at all. Again I had big hopes for some epic thing with the drawings and the ink, but then it was just.... meh. If you like all those cliches or don't care about them, you might like this book a lot more then I did. If you hate the cliches, don't even bother reading it. I'm sorry, but that's the way it is in my opinion. For me this book was just one big pile of 'meh'.