istyriabookblog

Istyria book blog

B's World of Enchanted Books

Soul Taken (Carina) - Katlyn Duncan *I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review for the Blog Tour.*This is Katlyn Duncan's debut novel and it was... okay. It's an angel book, which is either good or bad for me. This one is an exception though. It wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either. It was somewhere in the middle. It's a new approach on angels and life after death and yeah... It was okay.This story is about Maggie. She's a soul collector. They help human souls get to Gate Seven, which is the place human souls go after death. She's very good at it and she hopes to be promoted to The Guard soon. They are an elite group of souls that protect humans and such. Like soldiers. To prove she is capable of being a guard, she has to help them find a missing soul and that's where it goes wrong. Maggie gets stuck inside a human body, a place she hasn't been in for over a 100 years. The body she's in is from Ally. She is a descendant of the Caelestium. The Caelestium are the original creaturs of the after reqlm and centuries ago, they mated with humans to create the Prognatum. There are only a few left of those and they are watched by the guard until they're 18, then they go through a transformation and join the guard. Ally's birthday is around the corner and Maggie has to reunite her soul with her body before that or else her soul may be lost forever.First of all, this story was confusing. There isn't much world building, so half of the time I didn't have clue what was going on and I didn't understand the terms and didn't know how to pronounce them. Very confusing. But it was interesting and pretty original as far as angel books go. The characters are well developed and surprisingly relatable. I liked them. But really connecting to them... That didn't happen.The writing was good. Not the best I've ever seen, but Katlyn has it in her to write an engaging book. If you love this genre and are really into angels and stuff, I think you'll really like this one. For me, it was just okay. I liked it, but I didn't love it.