istyriabookblog

Istyria book blog

B's World of Enchanted Books

Soul Sisters (Soul Sisters, #1) - Janiera Eldridge 4.5 stars!A copy was given to me in exchange for an honest review through the Read it & Reap-program from Goodreads-group Shut up & Read. More info: Shut up & Read blog.The storyThis story kind of feels like an origins story. You know, an origins story is like an introduction. Hou have the fun of introducing the characters and getting to know them, but that takes time. With the second one, you can just get on with it and have a rollicking good time. I love the fact that she changes from modern times to the past, which makes it even more an origins story.The WritingThe writing in this book is really good. Props to Janiera for that! Sometimes I had the feeling there was a word missing in a sentence, but that was just 3 times or so and I don’t give a thing about that because of the awesomeness of the rest of the book.The book reads really quick and it’s kind of short, but I don’t care. It’s still cool.The charactersI love all the characters, but the one I love the most is Dana. I can see myself in her. She’d rather stay home, reading a good book instead of going out to a club or something. She’s a little shy in the beginning of the story. We learn about her past, so many many years ago and by that also the reason why she is in that situation in the present day.The rest of the characters are also cool, although I think Donovan is a douchebag.The vampires & other supernatural creaturesBecause of the great amount of vampire books these days, I have to judge this book on that too because these guys have gone through a lot of transformations lately. From sparkly ‘vegetarians’ to spiritual beings with tattoos on their face that have to go to vampire school to murderous vampires out of the closet that have to drink fake blood out of a bottle. The image of these creatures that we used to have (mainly because of Bram Stoker’s Dracula) is long gone. Yes, I think it’s safe to say that most of us no longer see them as vicious creatures that scream ‘I vant to suck your blood!’. Some authors did a pretty good job at reinventing them, but others not at all. BUT Janiera did. The vampires are the kind of creatures that suck blood, burn in the sun and are pretty indestructible. You know, the vampires we know and love.The werewolves here in this book are pretty much the same. As in many books, they don’t have to wait for a full moon either and they can change in a giant puppydog anytime they want. Which is fine with me. At least they don’t sparkle in the moonlight or something.Love & romanceBelieve it or not, romance is not the most important thing in this book. It’s refreshing, actually. Sure, there is a relationship and it’s really sweet, but it’s not the main thing here. I kind of got a love-triangle-vibe at some point, but I didn’t care in this story because, like I said, it’s not the main issue here. They are in the background. The only love that isn’t on the background is the love between the sisters. They love each other, although they don’t want admit to that sometimes. They fight sometimes and there are moments were they think they hate each other. So kind of what all bonds between siblings are like.ConclusionThis is a cool, refreshing, original and badass story. It feels like an introduction, but that’s not bad. In fact, it’s really good. It means that more badassness is on its way in the second book. I don’t have anything negative to say except for the fact that it is kind of short. So good job Janiera and keep up the good work!