istyriabookblog

Istyria book blog

B's World of Enchanted Books

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)

Angelfall  - Susan Ee This review is also on my blog: Bookaddict Bieke4.5 starsYeah, take a good look at that rating because it's the highest one a dystopian novel has gotten from me so far. But this one deserves it. My expectations were a bit high after seeing all those positive review, just like they were when I started reading Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo, and once again a novel lives up to my expectations and this one also exceeded them. The intersections are gridlocked with abandoned cars. I'd never seen a gridlock in the valley befor six weeks ago. The drivers here were always as polite as can be. But the thing that really convinces me that the apocalypse is here is the crunching of smartphones under my feet. Nothing short of the end of the world would get our eco-conscious techies to toss their latest gadgets onto the street. It's practically sacrilegious, even if the gadets are just dead-weight now.This is the story of Penryn Young. A seventeen-year-old girl that lives in a post-apocalyptic world that has been invaded by some not-so-nice angels. One day, when she and her family are trying to get away from the town they live in, they witness a fight between an angel with white wings and a group of angels with red, blue, tiger-striped,... wings (I know, weird.) Her little sister gets abducted by those angels and to find her she'll do anything. Even making a deal with the wounded angel that lies there on the street. So with Raffe, the angel, she goes on a journey to look for her sister. And not everything goes as well as they hope. "Where did they take my sister?"The briefest emotion flickers in his eyes, gone so fast that I can't identify it. "How the hell should I know?""Because you're on of the stinking bastards.""Ooh. You cut me to the bone with that one." He sounds bored and I'm almost embarassed by my lack of a stronger insult. "Didn't you notice I wasn't exactly chummy with the other fellas?""They're not 'fellas'. They're not anywhere near human. They're nothing but leaking sacks of mutated maggots, just like you."Looks-wise, he and the other angels I'd seen were closer to living Adonises, complete with godlike faces and presences. But inside, they were maggots for sure.I like this story a lot. It starts strong and makes me curious, makes me wanting more. And it keeps doing that. It's got me hooked and keeps me up until late into the night. I love the writing and the dialogues in this book a lot, but there's also a lot of action and even some gross parts that you normally wouldn't find in a YA novel. But the world has gone to hell, so what do you expect? It won't be rainbows and unicorns you know. I always have my doubts about dystopian/angel books because there are enough bad examples in those genres that could stop you from reading another one ever again. But I this one had so many positive reviews, so I had to try it. And I'm glad I did because this is a very original mix of both genres and Susan just gets it right. When I was little, I always thought I'd be Cinderella, but I guess this makes me the wicked witch.But then again, Cinderella didn't live in a post-apocalyptic world invaded by avenging angels.The characters in this book are great. I loved Penryn right from the start. She's smart, stubborn, protective and a kickass heroine. Sure, she isn't perfect. She's afraid sometimes and she does stupid things, but she learns from those and she'll do anything to protect the ones she loves, even if that means putting her own life in danger. I love her and Raffe together. They are so good for each other, even if they aren't really a couple yet. But I root for them! Of course I love Raffe. Even the way you pronounce his name (Raw Feet, hee hee). I love his sarcasm and I know he cares about Penryn but doesn't show it to her. So I love him too. Yeah, I love all the other characters too. Penryns mom and Paige, her sister. The people they come across on their journey,... And the angels. I mean, who wouldn't love an angel with tiger-striped wings? I can't picture that for some reason... Wings are either black or white in my opinion... It's weird, but I like it.I never thought about it before, but I"m proud to be human. We're ever so flawed. We're frail, confused, violent, and we struggle with so many issues. But all in all, I'm proud to be a Daughter of Men.So that's what I think about this book. I know I'm late discovering the awesomeness of this book but I am SO glad that I don't have to wait as long as most people who have read this book more then a year ago to read the sequel. Time flies by, so fall is already lurking around the corner!