istyriabookblog

Istyria book blog

B's World of Enchanted Books

The Testing

The Testing - Joelle Charbonneau I received an ARC copy of this book from the publishers via Netgalley.Reading this book you can't help but compare it the The Hunger Games. It's inevitable. But as I read this book and turned each page, one thought came to mind: This is way more awesome then The Hunger Games can ever be! Yes, you read that right. This is way better and so much more awesome then Suzanne Collins' series. Why? I'll tell you why without giving away any spoilers!Although this story resembles THG, it's different in a lot of ways. First of all, the story Joelle worked out is so much better and more detailed then THG. I was so fascinated reading this book. You get a lot of detailed of what happens in the past and I liked that a lot. Especially since it never got boring. The writing is so so good. It holds my attention and I couldn't put it down. The questions you have only build up and you rarely get an answer. I still have a lot of questions left unanswered. And that's good. It makes me want to read the second book even more. It makes me curious as hell. The writing is so good I could feel the tension between the lines. Seriously, not much authors can do that.So what is this story about, really? Well, apparently all hell broke loose in the past. Literally. The world is destroyed and rebuild. That's the world Cia lives in. After she's been chosen for The Testing, her father warns her not to trust anyone. And Cia is smart. She prepares for the worst. Her brothers learned her how to defend herself and she never forgets where she came from throughout the story. She is a caring and loving girl that always wants to help others and she is strong. Maybe not physical, but mentally for sure. That helps her a lot. She isn't perfect though. She trust people to easily despite her father's warning. So when she arrives in at the Testing center, she is prepared for the worst to happen. In the beginning everything seems okay. But then the weird and sinister stuff happens that makes you, as a reader, question what the goal of the leaders of the city, the United Commonwealth, really is. It really freaked me out at times. Nothing is what is seems. I know I only talked about the Main Character, but I can't talk about the other ones without giving away spoilers. So I'll leave you with a tip. Do what Cia's father said: TRUST NO ONE.