istyriabookblog

Istyria book blog

B's World of Enchanted Books

Forbidden (Definitions)

Forbidden - Tabitha Suzuma I never had the relationship with my siblings that Maya and Lochan have with theirs. In fact, it was the opposite of what they had. We rarely got along with each other. Even now. So for me, it was hard to imagine that you could in fact fall in love with a brother or sister. And I had my doubts about this book. Especially because of the theme of it. It’s a heavy and serious subject and some people just can’t handle it. But I gave it a shot, with my doubts and all. Thinking: ‘how can this ever be a good book?’ Boy, was I wrong. “How can something so wrong, feel so right?”That is the big question in this book. And through the course of the book I found myself asking why it is wrong? If I were Maya, I would’ve probably fallen in love with Lochan too. They’re both so fragile, loving, vulnerable and protective that I could not NOT love them. I just couldn’t hate them. I felt everything they felt and I cared for them. Really cared. It left me breathless at times. I sobbed and even cried because of them. Their brothers Kit and Tiff and sister Willa are such great characters! Willa and Tiff made me laugh and cry and sob along with all the kids of that family. That family is just so fucked up. Their father is a first class asshole that left them years ago and their mother… God, I hated that woman. At times I wished I could pull her out of the book just to give her a hard slap on her face. She is such a bad mother. What am I saying? Bad? She probably is a prime example of the worst mothers in the world. Yeah, I really hated her. “The human body needs a constant flow of nourishment, air and love to survive. Without Maya I lose all three; apart we will slowly die. ”What else can I say about this story? It was written perfectly. I got to now the characters, the story didn’t go to fast, it wasn’t exaggerated. An ending I never saw coming. An ending I never wanted, though it is as perfect as the rest of the story in a way. I really am a mess because of this story, but I don’t mind. I’m glad I’ve read it. Everybody should read it. In the end, you’ll be glad you did.This is a story about love. About two people who fall in love. They shouldn’t, but you can’t stop love. You can’t choose love. Love chooses you. And sometimes, love is really hard. I can hear you thinking. 'But their brother and sister, that's wrong!' blablabla. No. I had a fucked up childhood to, but that was partly because of my brothers, so I can't even think of falling in love with them. (Yuk) But the kids here in this story? Their home is falling apart. Their father already gone for years and now that stupid thing that calls herself a mother leaves them too for a stupid boyfriend. They are left alone and Lochan and Maya take responsibility in taking care of their brothers and sister. They have to grow up so fast in such a short time and it's not strange that they find comfort in each other after being pushed in parenting roles. Lochan is so shy and feels so alone in the world. I know that feeling. The feeling that you are alone in the whole goddamn world even when you are surrounded by so much people. The feeling that you want to scream very loud and nobody would hear you. I get that. I've been there. And then there comes Maya. Someone who knows how he feels, understands it. Someone who hears his inner screams. It's definitly not strange that they love each other as something more than brother and sister. In a way, it felt right. And that's why you should give this book a chance. “At what point do you give up – decide enough is enough? There is only one answer really. Never.”To conclude this (for me) very long review I want to give you all my opinion on the subject. I think it’s bullshit that these relationships are illegal. Seriously. Maya and Lochan are so much more than siblings. They are soulmates, best friends,… Their love shouldn’t be forbidden. It should be celebrated. And the fact that I want to throw up when I even think of kissing my own brother doesn’t matter. As I always say: love is love. The only thing that counts is the happiness of the ones that are in the relationship. As long as they get their happily ever after, it’s good. Who do you think you are taking that away from to people just because it is ‘wrong’? That, in my very honest opinion, is sick. Not the relationship they have, but the people that judge them because they are siblings. If you ask me, they are just jealous. Love is love and everyone deserves a happy ending. And it's sad that Maya and Lochan didn't get theirs.